Tuesday, April 5, 2011


Real Wedding... Kate and Tim


This artistic couple met on a film shoot for the band Tim played in.
The couple were married on the 2nd October 2010 at St Mary’s Star of the Sea.  The aesthetics and decorative interior of the church and it stain glass windows drew Kate to pick it for the ceremony.  The reception was held at The Harbour Room, St Kilda.



Kate chose the theme ‘Four seasons in one day’ for the wedding because of the unpredictable nature of Melbourne weather – however on their day it was perfect with a burnt orange sunset for cocktails on St Kilda Beach. Kate’s theme of ‘Four seasons in one day’ also represented life, love and relationship for the couple and was evident throughout the day.



The ‘Save the Date’ cards were four badges representing the season, which then followed through into the invitations the bride and groom made.   Kate says “I DIYed most of the details and had Tim in the back shed, ‘handymaning’ and spray painting ice-cream cone holders as well joining me in a production line – cutting out our pop-up invitations and pinning on seasonal badges.



When it came to picking the perfect gown for the day Kate was ahead of the game, “I visited Karen’s store in Sydney. It was my first ever visit to a bridal store. My mum and I were on holiday in Sydney and we went in for a bit of fun. I had not been proposed to yet but I loved Karen’s style and I knew that a proposal wasn’t too far around the corner. Karen’s studio in Melbourne was my first stop when he put a ring on it.”



Kate chose the ‘Velvet Ribbon Bodice’ – an organza wrapped corset bodice with velvet ribbon detailing, with the Full ‘Petal Skirt’ – an organza layered skirt with scalloped edges.  For an individual twist Kate had some of the organza layers made with grey organza for a gradating colour effect.
“The dress I choose for my wedding from Karen Willis Holmes was the first and only dress I tried.  I loved the petal skirt. It was soft and feminine and I was able to add some colour, which felt like I’d really added a bit of me to the gown. I had never actually pictured the type of dress I would want for my wedding, but together with Karen I was able to make additions her beautiful design that for me, together with jewellery and my sister-in-law veil felt like it was always meant to be.”
Perth designer Sophia Kyron made the stunning and unique custom neckpiece.



The tables were seasonal themed. Summer was dressed with carnation filled ice-cream cones. Spring – green grass, eggs in hot pinks nests that read love, honour and obey (with obey crossed out of course) Autumn – we made fairy light leaves that hung from beams above the table and autumn leaf place mats. The bridal table was winter with huge white paper flowers.



The bouquets were from Soil Flowers – and again each bouquet met the seasonal theme.  Photographer Jonathon Ong photographed the day and captured the couples arty attitude and expression in the shots.  The couple had their day videoed by the Bird Collective and mixed up the music with flamenco guitarists for cocktails, a pianist for dinner and iPod for dancing the night away.  Guests were given Porcelain igloo candle holders and asked to light their candle at the beginning of the night and then take it home – ‘This little light of mine, I’m going to let it shine!’




 “Our priest included everyone in on our vows asking them to commit to continue loving and supporting us as friends and as a married couple to which they replied – We do!”

Karen xx


(All images by Jonathon Ong)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment to let me know what you are thinking

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home